It is a temporary employment contract for substitution (interim), mainly associated with the execution of the project “Innovation in the Framework of the Atlantic Deep Ocean (iFADO)”.
The position offered as Scientist / Technologist is defined as staff dedicated to both scientific and technical tasks. It is a job integrated into the organic structure of the Consortium. It is assigned to one area or several, on a permanent or temporary basis. It fundamentally requires mastery of the set of knowledge and techniques related to the functions to be developed and that require demonstrated professional training, as well as the management and coordination of small work groups. It carries with it the need for a medium degree of proven and concrete experience / specialization, and it has a delegated and limited decision-making capacity.
The “Innovation in the Framework of the Atlantic Deep Ocean (iFADO)” project is co-financed, 75%, by the INTERREG Program – Atlantic Area (2014-2020); European funding program that promotes transnational cooperation in 36 Atlantic regions of five European countries. The program is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), supporting cooperation projects in the fields of Innovation and Competitiveness, Resource Efficiency, Territorial Risk Management and Biodiversity, Natural and Cultural Heritage. This project is executed by a European Consortium made up of twenty Entities, among which is PLOCAN.
The aim of the iFADO project is to create marine services on a regional and sub-regional scale, using European Union waters as a case study. Filling the existing technical gaps, iFADO will use the implementation of the Framework Directive on Marine Strategy (FDMS) to demonstrate the application of innovative products. The project will combine traditional surveillance with profitable, cutting-edge technologies: remote sensing, numeric modelling and emerging observation platforms such as gliders and oceanic buoys.
What will your duties be?
The person to be hired will be the person in charge (supervised by the person in charge of PLOCAN), of carrying out all the pertinent tasks and functions to execute the project and meet its objectives on time. He/She will be responsible for the coordination, implementation, execution, control and completion of the aspects of the projects, which correspond to the responsibilities assumed by PLOCAN in the team formed for their realization. He/She must ensure its consistency with the strategy, acquired commitments and objectives to be achieved by PLOCAN.
He/She must also assume the scientific, technical and economic contribution for the adequate execution of the referenced project, which include functions of their job category (Scientist / Technologist), the following standing out among others:
- Contribution to the preparation of the deliverables and technical documentation with the participation of PLOCAN in the project.
- Contribution to the coordination of relationships with partners and the management of working groups at a national and international level.
- Contribution to the preparation of bidding documents for the acquisition of goods, services and works.
- Management and updating of the project website, intranet and applications, as well as dissemination and dissemination of results.
- Participation in national and international committees and working groups, as well as in scientific-technical events (congresses, seminars, etc.). Generation of minutes.
- Design, installation, testing, verification, maintenance and other activities, both in the laboratory and at sea, related to autonomous platforms and other state-of-the-art marine observation devices planned to be used within the framework of the project, with special emphasis on the gliders.
- Contribute to all other activities arising from the project’s execution and management activity assigned by the Coordination.
- Contribute sporadically to all other activities arising from the organization’s own activity.
What kind of profile are we looking for?
We are looking for a professional who has:
- A MECES (Spanish Qualification Framework for Higher Education) level 3 (or higher) in Biology and / or Marine Sciences and / or Environmental Sciences and / or Telecommunications Engineering and / or Naval and Ocean Engineering (MANDATORY). Additional qualifications to the one required with Level 3 MECES or higher level qualifications will be valued.
- Participation, for at least 2 years, in scientific-technical projects, financed by a national or international call, directly related to underwater marine technologies, observation and / or oceanographic instrumentation (MANDATORY). Experience of at least 2 years in the use of any of the glider and / or Autonomous Surface Vehicles (ASV) technologies; shipments to carry out missions in the open sea within the framework of either oceanographic campaigns or scientific-technical tests consisting of the operation of autonomous ocean observation devices, such as gliders, ASV and multidisciplinary anchors; experience in the management of computer applications for the processing, quality control, formatting and standardization of scientific data related to time series of oceanographic parameters; and experience in the use of software and / or applications related to the management of scientific-technical projects will be valued.
- A medium level on basic office management software (MANDATORY).
- An English level B1 (COMPULSORY). A higher English level and / or other languages with a level equal to or higher than B1 will be valued.
- Availability to board and travel (MANDATORY).
- Driving licence will be valued.
- Courses related to underwater marine technologies, observation and / or oceanographic instrumentation and / or management of scientific-technical projects; qualification of basic navigation pattern (GNP) or higher; sports diving qualification; professional diving qualification; and PRINCE2 Certificate or equivalent for the integrated management of scientific-technical projects will be valued.
What do we offer?
- Immediate incorporation.
- Temporary employment contract as a Scientist / Technologist, full-time (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.), for the period necessary to cover the interim. Contract subject to trial period.
- Salary according to value and budget availability of the projects.
Do you want to work with us?
You can register:
- Through the website of the Canary Islands Employment Service.
- If you meet the requirements, you can also send your updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
PLOCAN is an essential initiative for the Canary Islands Government’s strategy in research, development and innovation (R&D); at the service of both the state and the international scientific and technological community. PLOCAN is included in the European coordination and collaboration actions in the marine-maritime field and Blue Growth.
Since 2009, the public consortium PLOCAN, created by the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness and the Government of the Canary Islands, has captured more than 80 projects, which have involved almost a thousand partners from 49 countries and around 1,500 researchers.