It is a temporary employment contract for substitution (interim), mainly associated with the execution of the projects JERICO-S3 of the call H2020-INFRAIA-2018-2020, EUROSEA of the call H2020-BG-2018-2020 and GROOM II of the call H2020-INFRADEV-2018-2020, giving complementary support to the projects of the program that they integrate.
The position offered as Scientist / Technologist is defined as staff dedicated to both scientific and technical tasks. It is a job integrated into the organic structure of the Consortium. It is assigned to one area or several, on a permanent or temporary basis. It fundamentally requires mastery of the set of knowledge and techniques related to the functions to be developed and that require demonstrated professional training, as well as the management and coordination of small work groups. It carries with it the need for a medium degree of proven and concrete experience / specialization, and it has a delegated and limited decision-making capacity.
The objective of the JERICO-S3 project (contract number 871153) is to boost the Joint European Research Infrastructure of Coastal Observatories JERICO-RI dedicated to observe and monitor the complex marine coastal seas. JERICO-S3 is mainly targeting a more science integrative approach to better observe the coastal ecosystem, raising up the scientific excellence, with consideration of the regional and local ecosystems; the preliminary development of an e-infrastructure in support to scientists and users by offering access to dedicated services; progress on the design of the RI and its strategy for sustainability. Major user-driven improvements will be realised in terms of observing the complexity of coastal seas and continuous observation of the biology, access to facilities, data and services, best practices and performance indicators, innovative monitoring strategies, cooperation with other European RIs (EuroARGO, EMSO, AQUACOSM, DANUBIUS, ICOS, EMBRC, LIFEWATCH) and international scientific communities, industry and other stakeholders, and aligning strategy with COPERNICUS/CMEMS, EMODNET and GEO/GEOSS.
The EuroSea project (contract number 862626) brings together key European actors of ocean observation and forecasting with key end users of ocean observations, responding to the Future of the Seas and Oceans Flagship Initiative. EuroSea will improve European and international coordination (EuroGOOS/GOOS); design of the observing system adapted to European needs; in situ observing networks; data delivery; integration of remote and in-situ data; and forecasting capability. EuroSea will work towards integrating individual observing elements to an integrated observing system, and will connect end-users with the operators of the observing system and information providers (COPERNICUS, EMODNET y SeaDataNet).
Underwater and surface drones, in particular gliders, have become essential vehicles to carry scientific payloads for most environmental observations from the surface down to 6000m and for activities supporting the blue economy. The distributed infrastructure required to exploit these assets must be able to meet different demands from research and monitoring of the marine environment, to public service missions and industry needs, requiring customised payloads and operations. The GROOM II project (contract number 951842) will deliver the decision basis for an advanced MRI that promotes scientific excellence, fosters innovation, support the blue economy, builds industrial and public partnerships, and works towards helping achieve the common research and innovation mission for future Europe. The project will define the overall organization of an infrastructure dedicated to ocean research and innovation, and maritime services supporting Blue Growth. This infrastructure will be a positive step against today’s fragmented European landscape, aiding connections and synergies for the completion of GOOS and EOOS.
What will your duties be?
The person hired will be the person in charge, (supervised by the person in charge of PLOCAN) of carrying out all the tasks and functions of their category (Scientist / Technologist), pertinent to finalize the projects and meet their objectives on time.
He/She will contribute to the implementation, execution, control and completion of the aforementioned projects, and to their integration, coordination and promotion with the projects of the program and plan of which they are part. It must ensure its consistency with the strategy, commitments acquired and objectives to be achieved by PLOCAN.
He/She must also assume the scientific, technical and administrative contribution for the adequate execution of the aforementioned projects, performing tasks that include, among others:
- Contribution to the preparation of the deliverables and technical documentation in which PLOCAN participates.
- Economic justification and administrative management resulting from the projects.
- Contribution to the coordination of relationships with partners and the management of working groups at a national and international level.
- Contribution to the preparation of bidding documents for the acquisition of goods, services and works, if applicable.
- Contribution to operational and technical activities related to the management and operation of autonomous ocean observation systems.
- Management and updating of the website, intranet and applications of the projects, as well as dissemination and dissemination of results.
- Participation in national and international committees and working groups, as well as in scientific-technical events (congresses, seminars, workshops, etc.). Generation of minutes.
- Integration, coordination and promotion of projects in the program to which they belong, giving support in the integral management of the program itself and the plan to which they belong.
- The person selected will collaborate in all those other activities that arise from the assigned execution and management activity, and sporadically in all those other activities that arise from the organization’s activity.
What kind of profile are we looking for?
We are looking for a professional who has:
- A MECES (Spanish Qualification Framework for Higher Education) level 3 in Telecommunications, Electronics, Computing, Physics, Chemistry, Marine Science or related (MANDATORY). PhD in Engineering or Marine Sciences or related will be valued.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in management, and scientific-technical execution of European projects related to engineering or marine sciences (MANDATORY). At least 6 months of experience in development and operation of instrumentation systems (sensors, autonomous platforms, etc.) of measurement and computer science in the field of marine science and technology; at least 6 months of experience in management or governance of European or international ocean observing networks and marine observing technologies; stays of more than 6 months in national and international reference centres related to marine science and technology; and at least 6 months of experience in justifying H2020 program projects will be valued.
- A medium level on basic office management software (MANDATORY).
- An English level B1 (COMPULSORY). A higher English level and / or other languages with a level equal to or higher than B1 and proven experience in writing documents in technical scientific English will be valued.
- Driving licence (MANDATORY).
- Availability to travel (MANDATORY).
- Certification in the integrated management of scientific-technical projects; specific and highly qualified certification of a technical nature applied to engineering or marine sciences; and availability for immediate incorporation will be valued.
What do we offer?
- Immediate incorporation.
- Temporary employment contract as a full-time Scientist / Technologist (hours from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.), for the period necessary to cover the interim period. Contract subject to trial period.
- Salary according to value and budget availability of the projects.
Do you want to work with us?
You can register:
- Through the website of the Canary Islands Employment Service.
- If you meet the requirements, you can also send your updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
PLOCAN is an essential initiative for the Canary Islands Government’s strategy in research, development and innovation (R&D); at the service of both the state and the international scientific and technological community. PLOCAN is included in the European coordination and collaboration actions in the marine-maritime field and Blue Growth.
Since 2009, the public consortium PLOCAN, created by the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness and the Government of the Canary Islands, has captured more than 80 projects, which have involved almost a thousand partners from 49 countries and around 1,500 researchers.