It is a temporary employment contract, associated with the subsidy granted by Resolution 51/20, of October 27, 2020 by the Cabildo of Gran Canaria with file number “Blue Economy (MINECO – Agreement 2018)” for the development of Actions within the framework of an experimental and comprehensive program of research and economic activities related to the exploitation of insular marine resources (Notification of Resolution 51/20, of October 27, 2020).
The Cabildo of Gran Canaria promotes economic and business activities that contribute to the development of the island. One of the priority objectives is to promote the economic diversification of Gran Canaria, promoting the development of sectors that have strategic advantages: high biodiversity, environmental conditions, geographical location or tax advantages. The purpose of this grant is to finance, within the framework of the development of an experimental and comprehensive program of research and economic activities related to the exploitation of island marine resources, the hiring of staff with experience in project management, who are capable of capturing opportunities for national and international funding, to prepare projects, and to detect groups and entities that can develop demonstration projects in Gran Canaria, supporting them in order to attract them.
What will your duties be?
As a technologist in the Scientific-Technical Area, under the supervision of the corresponding PLOCAN manager, you will develop and implement tools for the ingestion and processing of oceanographic data generated by autonomous state-of-the-art marine observation platforms (gliders and anchors), with special emphasis on the management and visualization of the information derived in specific product format, according to current international standards; you will manage specialized international data applications and services through the development of specific tools for the visualization of oceanographic data and support for the operation of autonomous marine observation platforms; you will contribute to the coordination of relations with partners and to the management of working groups at national and international levels; you will update and manage the project website, intranet and applications, as well as the dissemination of results; and you will participate in national and international committees and working groups, as well as in scientific-technical events (congresses, seminars, etc.).
What kind of profile are we looking for?
We are looking for a professional who has:
- A MECES (Spanish Qualification Framework for Higher Education) level 3 degree in Computer Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering, Marine Sciences, Mathematics or related to information, data or knowledge management (COMPULSORY). A higher level than MECES 3 will be valued.
- Experience in R&D&i project management, in the management of R&D&i projects in the marine field, in document management, data management and processing, information management, artificial intelligence and in operating gliders will be valued.
- High level of computer skills, computer programs and tools related to document management, data management and processing, information management (Matlab, Python, artificial intelligence, server and web design, or similar) (MANDATORY). Specific knowledge of management and visualization of oceanographic and environmental data, of data dissemination tools (THREDDS or similar) and relational databases will be valued.
- An English level higher than B1 and / or other languages with a level equal to or higher than B1 will be valued.
- Organized, rigorous, teamwork skills.
- Proven experience in handling marine data sources in a standardized format will be valued.
What do we offer?
- Experience in the development and implementation of tools for the ingestion and processing of oceanographic data generated by autonomous marine observation platforms and in the management of specialized international data applications and services through the development of specific tools for oceanographic data visualization and support to the operation of autonomous marine observation platforms.
- Immediate incorporation.
- Full-time contract for work or service as TECHNOLOGIST (from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.), during a period of approx. 11 months, duration linked to budget availability. Subject to trial period.
- Salary according to value and budget availability of the projects.
Do you want to work with us?
You can register:
- Through the website of the Canary Islands Employment Service.
- If you meet the requirements, you can also send your updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
PLOCAN is an essential initiative for the Canary Islands Government’s strategy in research, development and innovation (R&D); at the service of both the state and the international scientific and technological community. PLOCAN is included in the European coordination and collaboration actions in the marine-maritime field and Blue Growth.
Since 2009, the public consortium PLOCAN, created by the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness and the Government of the Canary Islands, has captured more than 80 projects, which have involved almost a thousand partners from 49 countries and around 1,500 researchers.