José Luis Vásquez is lecturer and researcher at the University of Costa Rica with more than 20 years of teaching. He has a wide experience in research and social support projects related to biodiversity and the business world.
During the talk, José Luis introduced the history and organization of the University of Costa Rica. He also presented the research fields which the University of Costa Rica is developing nowadays together with the IDeTIC (University Institute for Technological Development and Innovation in Communications) of the ULPGC (University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria) in the scope of the project PILASIB (Research Program of Intelligent Systems and Automata), such as:
- Automatic detection of species vocalizations using audio recordings.
- Automatic identification of plants by their leaf.
- Spider recognition by biometric web analysis.
- Turtles sex determination by their shell.
- Neural networks for temperature prediction using FPGAs (Field Programmable Gate Arrays).
After the talk, a visit to PLOCAN installations was madewith José Luis Vásquezand two lecturers, members of IDeTIC, who accompanied the speaker: Carlos Traviesoand Santiago Pérez.