Multipurpose technical-scientific service infrastructure
PLOCAN is a multipurpose technical-scientific service infrastructure that provides support for research, technological development and innovation in the marine and maritime sectors, available to public and private users. PLOCAN offers both onshore and offshore experimental facilities and laboratories, operational throughout the whole year thanks to the Canary Islands excellent climatic conditions. PLOCAN also brings a broad experience in large national and EU marine/maritime projects.
- An ocean observatory for the continuous and real-time monitoring in fields such as the study of global change and ocean acidification, water-column and deep-sea ecosystems, ocean biogeochemistry and geophysics. It consists of several permanent and mobile systems that interoperate to offer environmental impact monitoring, instrument testing, calibration and validation from shallow waters to the deep seabed.
- A test bed for the research, demonstration and operation of marine technologies, especially those related to marine renewable energy. We provide a robust and secure underwater electric infrastructure to evacuate the generated energy to the power grid connection, and a control centre for data analysis.
- A base for underwater vehicles: we own a series of underwater unmanned state-of-the-art technologies such as gliders, ROVs and AUVs. Besides, we support missions deploying customers´ vehicles. We have a dedicated control room to track the UUVs on real-time and laboratories and warehouses to support the missions´ needs.
- A training platform for institutions and enterprises.
- An innovation hub offering efficient and high quality R&D&I project management services, as well as other user-oriented services technological (Testing marine devise, data collection and analysis, environmental studies, etc.) t as non-technological (Fundraising, permits, logistics, health and safety, etc.)
The construction of the Oceanic Platform of the Canary Islands is 85% funded by the European Union, the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), the ERDF Operational Program for the Canary Islands 2007-2013, in Topic 1, \"Development of the economy Of Knowledge \"Priority issue 02.